Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Switzerland 2009 Home Video

I finally finished my first project using Windows Movie Maker.  The movie doesn't have a title yet, but it's basically footage from Great-Uncle's funeral last September in Basel, Switzerland.  The second half of the film is footage from two day-trips to Lake Luzern and Zermatt. 

I used several different pieces of music to compliment the video footage.  They include classical, folk and rock music.  The hardest part was putting on the subtitles for the various speeches that were read during the funeral.  The audio quality captured on my camcorder were quite poor, especially when there was a lot of background noise, such as people coughing and such.  Another difficult task is to synchronize the music with the images. 

My favourite part of the film is at end.  I've used footage shot from the top of a mountain that sits opposite the Matterhorn.  My cousin, Thien, panned the camera around to film the mountainscape.  It looks absolutely stunning!  Plus, the music from "Everything" starts off very softly and builds to a crescendo at the end with vocals, guitar and bass.  It works out perfectly with Thien's footage.  Even the tempo fits well because there is a clip where he films the landscape from a moving train. 

Actually, a lot of the footage happens to fit the music that I've selected really well.  I'm very pleased with my first project.  Now, all I have to do is buy some DVD-Rs and burn a few copies.  Next, I'll work on the cooking footage and make a video of this year's travels. 

No comments: