Monday, May 24, 2010

Worship Yesterday

Yesterday, at worship service, I felt so inspired!  And everyone else seemed to be as well because we sounded great.  The congregation sang the melodies with enthusiasm, Alex's piano accompaniment was played with gusto, and the singers were able to sing in harmony.  Michael led us the entire way with engergy and charisma.  Praise the Lord for all these gifts!

It was while I was singing, filled with the Holy Spirit, that I realized that music is a language in and of itself.  It's a language that one has to learn and practice on a daily basis, just as one would if learning to speak French or Spanish.  I have been practicing playing on the keyboard more regularly these past two months after having abandoned it for three months earlier this year.  And with the Lord's grace, I am improving!  Some songs that I had attempted in the past, and failed after only four bars, are now manageable.  I am able to play them from the beginning to the end, albeit very slowly.  However, I'm not baffled by the many different chords. 

Learning to play chords has taught me intuitively how to sing in harmony, and some keys are easier than others.  For example, songs in the neutral key of C or F are easier to sing in harmony compared to songs in E or A because of all the flats and sharps.  I have tried figuring out my own harmony for various worship songs on the keyboard, and sometimes it works.  Sometimes, it doesn't. 

Yesterday, while I was singing, the harmony came to me just like that with songs that I had not previously practiced.  First, I was able to sing the first three bars of the chorus in harmony, and the rest I had to keep to the melody.  The second time we sang the chorus, I was able to sing six bars in harmony.  The third time, the entire chorus!  Meanwhile, the other singers were also singing their own harmony, and it sounded so beautiful and inspiring! 

This led me to wonder if music is a tongue that is spoken spiritually?  I may not have been speaking in Russian, but it was close!  (no offence intended to the Russians). 

No comments: