Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Foie Gras now banned in Chicago

I saw on the news today that this delicacy is now banned from production and sale in Chicago, IL. The City Council was the one who passed this law. Their reason is that the process of making foie gras is inhumane to the geese and ducks.

Animal rights activists are thrilled. Many in the public are not.

When I went to Quebec 3 weeks ago, my friends and I visited a duck farm that produces and sells foie gras. We were given a private tour and the owner spent nearly 30 minutes explaing the history of this French delicacy, and how it is made. It was an eye-opening experience. And one that made me resolve never to eat it again in the future. I agree with the animal rights activists and the Chicago City Council that the process by which foie gras is made is inhumane. It is downright cruel.

Do I agree with the ban on the production and sale of this food on the basis that its production methods are inhumane? NO. If this were so, then shouldn't the KFC chicken be banned as well?

I think this is where personal preference comes in. If Joe Schmoe thinks that foie gras tastes good enough that he can ignore the suffering that the ducks and geese are subjected to, let Mr. Schmoe enjoy his food. Who am I to tell Mr. Schmoe how he should act on his conscience? To each his own, I say!

Unlike some psychos who torture and kill pets for pleasure, foie gras is a food that tastes delicious. To make it is a labour-intensive process. It was refined by the French and has become a part of French culture.

No comments: